Un: Lucía Carillos

Salut, tout le monde! Joyeux decembre!


Birthday countdown:
dix-huit jours!
I found something else that I wanted...any guesses about what it is? (Hint: it's a dress! But what dress?)

Julien and I made the journey to Pleasantview Private Boarding school, as I said in my post about Sandrine. Admittedly, he was a little nervous because of the stories I filled his head with. More on his lovely introduction to the Americans later. They came out of nowhere and made him jump…

Today, though, I have decided to talk about Señorita Lucía Carillos. Her introduction will be part of a four or five or more part series on the return to PPB.

I thought that Julien was going to be the only “new” person, though he technically isn’t “new” since he isn’t going to school here and is just staying for the holidays. However, a major surprise was in store.

Tout le monde, rencontrez Lucía Natalia Carillos…
Lucía is from the beautiful southern Spanish city of Málaga. Málaga is in the Andalucía region of Spain, and that region is where flamenco originated. I don’t know much about Lucía other than her name and where she’s from. She seemed shy, and I wasn’t sure if she spoke English or not, so I began speaking to her in Spanish.

That was a huge mistake within itself. I couldn’t keep up with her, nor could I understand every single word. I then asked, ¿hablas inglés? Fortunately, she answered, . She said she liked listening to me speak Spanish because she liked hearing her language spoken with different accents. I told her that she would be disappointed because the Americans speaking Spanish wasn’t exactly flattering to the ears. Some are better than others; for example, Marisol’s Spanish is fine, but I couldn’t say the same thing about the rest of the class.

I decided to show her around. She told me that it was nice to meet me and that she could see us becoming friends. I told her that I was from Lille, and she seemed very interested in my hometown, too. She's only visited the south of France, and she said that my accent was different, which it clearly is since accents in France vary by region, too. I would joke around and say that is because I speak ch'ti, but I wasn't sure if she'd get it or not.
So there you have it: Lucía. I am currently spending some time in a special English program with JUST SANDRINE, so I won't see Lucía again until later this month. In the meantime, I'll share more interesting things that happened last week...

Sabine

4 comments

Blakeney Green said...

Hi, Sabine, this is Kirsten. :-)

Thanks for telling us about your (potential) friend. She seems nice.

I like both of your outfits!

Good luck doing English with Sandrine, and we look forward to hearing the additional news.

Love,
Kirsten

Anonymous said...

Ooooohhhhh make us wait on some great additional news. We cannot wait to hear from you.

You and Lucia sound like you will be good friends, it is always fun to make friends with new people.

Have fun doing English with Sandrine, how is she doing?

Hugs,
Taryn

Emily said...

Lucia seems like a nice girl. I hope she'll be a good friend to you. I can't wait to hear about Julien meeting everyone.

Emily

Aurora said...

She seems like she's really nice, and it's good to make a new friend.

It does seem like here, no matter where they're from, all the expats sort of hang out together and get on. Even the adults, like Alex (he's from England), made a friend at the pool where he swims that's from New Zealand - he said that he just started talking to him because he "sounded like eh wasn't from around here"!

It certainly would be kind of awesome to have such a handy and easy way to make friends as just opening your mouth!