An interlude in E minor

Salut, tout le monde!
The teen dance has unfortunately (definite sarcasm) been rescheduled for next Friday because the people who are hosting it weren't aware that this Friday is Good Friday.
So in the interim, I am learning how to play the flute. And guess who's teaching me?
Oui. Melanie.
To be honest, I never knew that Melanie played the flute and piccolo until yesterday when I heard her hit an octave that most normal people can't reach. After hearing her, a super brilliant idea popped into my head- I bet I could play Miley Cyrus songs with the flute! I've always wanted to play an instrument, but I didn't have the motivation when I was little. Mère once hired a private piano teacher for me, but she said that I was hopeless and she quit on me!
The good thing is, Melanie seriously promotes music education like it's going out of style, so I begged and pleaded with her to teach me how to play the flute, and she said she would. She is also a fabulous pianist, too...maybe she can teach me how to play that, too, since I never really got the chance to learn...? Two of my favorite Miley songs ("I Hope You Find It" and "When I Look At You") EVER have the best piano music in them.
So, Melanie taught me the B flat major scale, and it went OK. I then looked through her folder of sheet music because I was so impressed with my scale, and guess what I found? "WHEN I LOOK AT YOU"!!! Yeah. She said it was written for piano, but could be easily rewritten for flute. I'm not sure how that would be easy, but I'll take her word for it! She also said it was in E minor and that I didn't even know all my major scales yet, so I wouldn't be able to play it until I learned.
I basically know nothing about music. Like, what do "major" and "minor" mean? I, however, did learn some Italian, for example, poco più mosso and vivace. Next time I go to Italy and encounter a slow walker, I will so use the term poco più mosso with them. Just kidding. ;)
Sabine

3 comments

Emily said...

That's great that you're going to learn an instrument. I play the piano and like it a lot. It makes me feel smart, lol. Good luck with the flute!

Emily

Blakeney Green said...

How exciting! It's great that you have a built in teacher. :-)

Just remember that learning to play takes a lot of practice, and don't be frustrated if it takes a long time. You'll get there!

Love,
The Green Girls

Miranda said...

Oh, cool! I play flute right now, but I play jazz music. I'm consideering learning to play the magnificant piccolo, but maybe not... I DO want to bother my brother with it, so that's a plus... :)

~Miranda