Let's Dance!

Bonsoir, tout le monde!
Well...I have a somewhat interesting story to share. It's not really a story, but you get the idea. ;) I think the title of this post (which is also a Miley Cyrus song) is perfect.
As Lilly and I were walking around campus, we saw numerous posters advertising a "Teen Dance" that is to be hosted by the recreational center. I think it sounds like a great way to meet new people, even some guys, but I heard those dances were lame.
Let me explain.
Apparently, they only play the popular music, like Lady Gaga and Ke$ha. I, for one, gag whenever I hear them singing! The people who sponsor these dances don't realize that some people listen to Miley Cyrus and French pop. Since Americans like making everyone happy, they need to take this into account.

With that aside, I've never been to one, so I think I may go. Lilly wants to go, too, so it won't be that bad. Maybe we can even convince Melanie to come? Who knows? Maybe it won't be too lame?

I think that people must feel bad for middle schoolers because high school students have their prom, so this might be some dumb way to make up for potential jealousy. This is totally casual, though, so je ne sais pas. Isn't prom in the spring? This is in the spring, so I only made up one excuse.

Josefina and Samantha were trying to tell me that these dances were "inappropriate" because the music has swear words and innuendos. Well, um, I don't like that music, but I don't care about swearing and stuff. I'm French. My whole culture would be inappropriate to those two. Anyway, they were talking about how they may go because they wanted to be "wild". Um...excusez-moi? Wild? Josefina Esperanza Montoya and Samantha Rose Parkington? To them, "wild" is playing games on Webkinz, whatever that is. I'm sure it's popular with the elementary school crowd...the crowd we aren't and shouldn't associate ourselves with!

So oui, I had fun poking fun at them...I have no shame in doing this, as they don't take me seriously, anyway. They think I'm a "bad influence" on people because I drink wine. Yeah, shows how much Americans know about other cultures...

Sabine

4 comments

Sophie Amélie said...

Salut Sabine,

Ouais, le vin est délicieux! Et les mots comme "merde" sont très populaire dans mon vocabulaire. D'accord, maybe speaking slang/curse words is a bad habit of mine, but at least I'm not offended when I hear them. Hey, I am an avid cinephile! Tu ne peux pas regarder un film français sans la vulgarité!

Ugh, Ke$ha. I'd need to bring ear buds if I went to a teen dance playing "music" like that. If you can call that music!

Sophie

Emily said...

I've never been to a dance and I don't think I would enjoy one anyway because of the music choices. Some people like country, hehe. I do hope you have a good time if you go. It could be fun if you go with friends.

Emily

Blakeney Green said...

Hi Sabine!

Sometimes that kind of thing is fun with friends, even if the music is bad. You girls should go, even if just for a laugh.

Maybe they would play different music if you requested it? You could even bring your own and see if the DJ will use it.

Love,
The Green Girls

P.S. What's wrong with drinking wine?

Charlotte's Cafe said...

Did you decide to go? I've never been to a dance like you're speaking of so I think I would go just to see what it is like. You never know who you might meet! Plus it gives you an opportunity to dress up - I'd probably go just for that reason alone!